I love the Australian Mist Cat. So much so I have two of them myself! Now about 6 months ago I had never heard of them. It was my vet that 'sold' the breed to me.
I had to farewell my gorgeous boy, Zero around Christmas 2008, and I knew that to help my healing and move me on I wanted to get another cat. As they really are like your children, even if you already do have the two legged kind!
So I went on a mission to educate myself on the Australian Mist Cat. And this is what I found out...
They are a relatively new breed. Some sources suggest 1977, others 1978. All agree it was Dr Truda Straede who first breed them. They are a combination of three other breeds. Being breed to contain the easy going nature of the Burmese. The intelligence of the Abyssinian and the hearty health of the Domestic Shorthair.
All of these breeds are short hair, so not surprisingly the Australian Mist Cat is a short hair cat, with dense fur. What is surprising is it's distinctive markings. I have two chocolate spotted Australian mists. And they look like little leopards to me. With the Australian Mist Cat you get Spotted and Marbled. With the latter being a new addition to the official breed. As recent as 1998. Within those markings comes the colors brown, blue, lilac, chocolate, gold and peach. And what is interesting about the coat is that as the cat matures it gets a misty look in some lights.
Green eyes are a must of the breed, and any shade goes. I have two with beautiful bright green eyes, and the eyes tend to be oversized, as both my two possess. They are also very solid in build. And I have one cat - the older one surprisingly, who even as an ex breeding queen is long, lean (but not skinny like a Siamese) and muscular. The other one is soft and spongy and much heavier than the other one, and it's a kitten still to grow (the breeder did estimate that would would be about 6 kilos at full weight).
They are truly beautiful looking cats. And what I love most are their temperaments. They are so nice in nature. Even my teenage boy (kitten) who can be demanding and in your face, particularly to get affection and food. And no matter how much I might have to discipline him or push him away (which kills me to do) he bounces back with great cheer and is always purring. He's like the happy lad of the group.
And my ex queen is more reserved, also incredibly affectionate, and really beautifully natured. She has great manners, is never pushy, but also will not be pushed around by the other one.
And amongst all the breeds of cats I've ever come across another distinctive feature is how much love they give me and each other. They are unrelated, different life stages and they adore each other. And play like school children and are protective like parents of each other.
The Australian Mist cat breed are also likened to a dog with it's ability to do tricks. They will fetch, sit and walk on a lead. In fact I am interrupted each day around the same time by my girl, who brings me a ball and anything else she can find, drops it at my feet, and when I throw it, she runs after it, brings it back and drops it at my feet. Just like a dog.
What I've also noticed is different about this breed of cats, is how they do like to stay close by to their owner (me :-) ). They are allowed outdoors, and may venture out for 1/2 hour by themselves, but largely they must know where I am, and will visit me continually, and spend long portions of the waking hours close to me in proximity - sometimes a little too close (they insist they can use a keyboard and think a mouse is the variety they want to eat!).
So I can certainly vouch for the Australian Mist cat breed. I come from a cat family, and I have to say these two fill my house and my heart, and the hearts of my nearest and dearest with constant joy, and more than a few laughes.
If you want to find out more, go to this website here: Australian Mist Cat.

No comments:
Post a Comment